Victims of crime suffering from Posttraumatic Stress disorder (PTSD) are more likely to engage in behaviours which have adverse health consequences, such as cigarette smoking, alcol and drug abuse as well as poor diet and physical inactivity.
1. PTSD raises the risk of someone smoking by two-fold.
2. About half of individuals suffering from PTSD will abuse alcohol.
3. About one third of individuals suffering from PTSD will abuse drugs.
4. PTSD raises the risk of obesity by almost two-fold.
5. Individuals suffering from PTSD participate in 50% less physical activity.
PTSD can lead to significantly impaired health as should be addressed as early as possible. If you are a victim of crime and believe that you may be suffering from PTSD kindly contact Victims of Crime Counselling Services as soon as possible.