Below is a list of coping strategies which victims of crime may find helpful:
- Seek out support from others around you.
- Talk about the traumatic experience.
- Express emotions, such as crying.
- Participate in physical activity, such as brisk walking or jogging.
- Practice relaxation techniques, including stretching exercises, meditation and yoga.
- Look at the funny side of things and laugh whenever possible.
- Relax muscles, including taking a hot bath.
- Involve yourself in creative and expressive activities, such as music and art.
- Maintain a balanced diet.
- Ensure that your sleep cycle remains as consistent as possible.
- Avoid stimulants, such as nicotine and caffeine.
- Try to do something personally meaningful each day.
- Express positive emotions and behaviours towards those around you.
- Consider doing something socially proactive.
- Keep a journal of your trauma experience as well as after thoughts and feelings.
In order to heal from trauma victims need to grow and find meaning from their experience.