The advantages for victims of crime in pursuing an award for compensation through the Victims of Crime Assistance Act include:
1. Assistance is not dependent upon an assailant being convicted or even identified.
2. Compensation is State funded (your taxes at work).
3. Victims have no legal or other costs.
4. No need for a court hearing.
5. Standard of proof is based on the balance of probability.
6. Often the quickest and most straightforward means for victims of crime to access financial assistance.
7. Victims recover expenses, access financial assistance and ongoing support.
8. Call Victims of Crime Counselling and Compensation Services on Freecall 1800 000 055 for further assistance.