Violence against women not only causes significant physical and psychological harm to the direct victims but it also has a significant indirect financial cost including:
- The costs of purchasing physical and mental health care for victims of violence.
- The cost of women’s lost labour.
- The cost of the provision of temporary and permanent housing.
- The costs of the loss of children’s education when their lives are disrupted by violence.
- The costs to the State of criminal and civil investigations and legal proceedings.